Walk the Camí de Cavalls on Menorca - A life changing experience
Tell me about this holiday
Compared to our standard proposition, this holiday is more challenging, but well worth the effort. During the holiday we’ll walk the whole of The Camí de Cavalls (Path of horses) and this will involve an average of 12 miles a day over a 10-day period. This holiday is based from a 4-star hotel in Menorca’s most up market resort of Cala Galdana. A stunning combination of spectacular walks, wonderful accommodation, plus great food and wine. This holiday is open to couples and singles alike and there is no single supplement payable over and above the quoted holiday price.
What is the Camí de Cavalls?
The Camí de Cavalls is a 120-mile path, encapsulating the whole of Menorca. It was originally used as a means of connecting various watchtowers around the island to protect against pirates or general invasion. Remember Menorca is equidistant between Spain, France, North Africa and Italian Sardinia. It also houses the world’s second deepest natural harbour and these factors made it of vital strategic importance when wars were predominantly fought at sea. The path was originally believed to be 400 years old and built by the French during their occupation of Menorca. These days, archaeologists believe that it could be even older and possibly date back to the Moorish occupation of the island during the 13th century. The Camí is now known as one of the Med’s most popular walking destinations and attracts walkers, mountain bikers and scenery lovers from all over the world. During the holiday, we’ll walk along stunning coastal tracks, lush forest trails and enjoy timeless Menorcan villages and towns.
What sort of distances do we walk every day?
Whilst the average daily distance walked is 12 miles, this will not be broken down evenly and some days will be longer or shorter, depending on the relevant logistics. This holiday will be guided and backed up by 4 guides and a recovery vehicle traces the route, should people not feel up to the task. Here’s a breakdown of how the holiday unfolds over 10 days.
- 7th Oct - Official arrival day
- 8th Oct - Cala Galdana to Cala en Bosc – 10.5 miles - A flat and comfortable day, walking alongside the beautiful Med.
- 9th Oct - Cala en Bosc to Ciutadella – 8 miles – Again, a flat and manageable day, ending in the beautiful old French capital of Ciutadella.
- 10th Oct - Ciutadella to Cala Morell – 11.8 miles – Slightly more challenging and longer on a rocky landscape. This route is nearly all coastal and ends up at the ancient necropolis of Cala Morell.
- 11th Oct - Cala Morell to Ets Al.locs – 10.8 miles – An up and down day walking along the coast and through lush green Forests.
- 12th Oct - Ets Al.locs to Fornells – 13.5 miles - Today is nearly all coastal and our most difficult day, with lots of undulations. After today, we’ve broken the back of things.
- 13th Oct - Fornells to Favaritx – 14.2 miles - A beautiful day’s walking, ending up at the stunning lighthouse of Favaritx, which is the most easterly lighthouse in the whole of Spain.
- 14th Oct - Favaritx to Mahon – 12.6 miles - A slightly undulating day but the rewards are stunning sea/country views and ending up in the island’s capital of Mahon.
- 15th Oct - Mahon to Binibequer – 11.2 miles - A lovely flat day’s walking by the sea and ending at the picture postcard village of Binibequer.
- 16th Oct - Binibequer to Son Bou – 14 miles - Another comfortable day’s walking along the south coast and ending up at the resort of Son Bou, which is home to the longest beach on Menorca.
- 17th Oct - Son Bou to Cala Galdana – 10.75 miles - Another stunning coastal walk, finishing back in Cala Galdana.
- 18th Oct – Official departure day.
(Whilst the walking days are set in stone, arrival and departure days are flexible and if you wish to stay for a few days at the end or beginning of the holiday, just let us know and we can quote accordingly.)
The holiday accommodation
We start and finish our journey from the stunning 4 star and adults only Audax Hotel in Cala Galdana, Menorca’s best and most up market resort. The hotel houses the island’s largest spa, which is a wonderful way to relax at the end of our day’s activities. All rooms are bright, spacious and have ample balconies. They are, of course, ensuite and have TV’s showing UK channels. It’s just 20 metres from the beach and the hotel staff have the reputation of being the best trained on Menorca. All in all, a wonderful base for this type of holiday.
During this holiday, when logistics allow, we’ll eat at a combination of fine restaurants at the end of our exertions. On other days, we’ll have a picnic halfway around the walk and enjoy supper at the hotel’s excellent restaurant in the evening. All wine is included with the meals and we don’t scrimp on this. At the end of the holiday, we enjoy a grand celebration supper, where we’ll have a prize giving and generally enjoy sharing memories from the holiday.
Date for 2023
Price: £1982.00 per person
- This holiday is open to couples and singles alike and there is no single supplement payable over and above the quoted holiday price.
11nights bed and breakfast.
10 guided and fully backed up walks, with 4 guides and backup vehicle in attendance.
Main meal each day, with wine included. These will be a mixture of lunches and suppers, depending on the logistics of the day.
A picnic will be provided when our main meal is in the evening.
Transfers to and from the airport.
All coach travel to and from the beginning and end of each day's walking.
Tea and coffee during each walk.
All required drinking water (distributed on route along the walk).
General holiday info
See General Holiday Info for more information about flights to the Balearics, weather, what to bring, etc.
We would love to hear from you with any queries or questions you may have or if you wish to enquire after availability or make a booking. Contact us now
View a complete list of our walking, painting and activity holidays.